McFarlane Implement



Wisconsin Ag News Headlines
Lauren May Does It Again! Sells Top Steer at State Fair
Wisconsin Ag Connection - 08/10/2017

The 2017 grand champion steer in the 49th Annual Governor's Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction at the Wisconsin State Fair was sold Wednesday night for $50,000. Lauren May's 1,377 pound Crossbred steer, named Drake, was purchased by Meijer Supermarkets. The 17-year-old Iowa County exhibitor from Mineral Point showed the reserve grand champion steer at last year's fair; and had the honor of exhibiting the grand champion during the two years prior. She is the sister of Brock May, who had sold either the champion or the reserve champion steer at the state fair for six consecutive years between 2007-2012.

Tori Crisp of Racine County, who's animal was named the grand champion in 2016, was this year's reserve champion of the show. Her animal was purchased by Wisconsin Souvenir Milkcaps for $10,000. The two girls have been finishing in either first or second place for each of the past four years.

Meanwhile, the top hog of the sale was sold by Kyle Vondra of Iowa County for $15,000 to Kevin Schuele. And Brady Meudt from Walworth County exhibited the Grand Champion Lamb. His Hampshire went for $10,000 on the auction block and was purchased by Walmart.

Governor Scott Walker was on hand to work the crowd, along with Bucky Badger at the UW-Madison Marching Band. In all, 25 animals were sold at the auction for a total of $267,000. Each exhibitor will receive 80 percent of the winning bid with the remaining 20 percent applied to youth scholarships, grants and auction expenses.

"Every year, the Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction helps support youth in our state who are interested in agriculture," Gov. Walker said. "It not only highlights the strength of our livestock industry, it also helps to ensure the future of agriculture in Wisconsin by supporting the youth exhibitors who want to build a future in farming."

Also this week, Walker hosted the Meat Products Auction at the state fair on Tuesday evening. That sale raised more than $130,000, which will go to the Wisconsin's 4-H Foundation to help fund leadership development, programs and scholarships. An Ultimate Bacon product, submitted by Wyttenbach Meats of Prairie du Sac, was named Best of Show and sold for $16,000.

The 11-day fair continues through Sunday with more grandstand entertainment, tasty food and midway rides.

Send this article to a friend


Other Wisconsin Headlines
Schuler Mfg
Kelly Manufacturing
Copyright 2017 - USAgNet.com. All Rights Reserved.